Skip to main content

Six things I've learned about Digital in 2015

As 2015 winds to a close I've been reflecting on what I've learned this year. For succinctness, I'll keep this post just to 'learned about the Digital Economy'. Enjoy, and thanks for reading in 2015!

This is taking ages... I've been amazed by the slow pace of change to digital economy cultures amongst organisations in all sectors. Having been thinking about this for years I take for granted that ideas like Lean Startup are the norm in management, but it seems not. I realise that I've been unrealistic. These kinds of massive changes take decades and I suspect I'll be advising on this phase for much of the next ten years of my career.

The fundamental lessons are the same in every industry. This year, my team and I have worked in a huge range of industries, from government departments to construction machinery, snake bites to sportswear, groceries to car manufacturer, appliances to social media, and in most cases we've come in as generalists. And that's just fine because the discipline of setting strategy and building growth ventures using Lean Startup applies in every circumstance, albeit often with tweaks to enable the language and pace to work in a given organisation without being rejected by the corporate immune system. This gives me a great deal of confidence that we're on to something :)

We must be on the verge of another wave of extinctions?! The slow pace of change in organisations, coupled with continued heavy investment into startups suggests that some industries that have hitherto remained secure may well start to suffer in 2016. Retail banking, insurance of all sorts and healthcare providers have all managed to avoid disruption despite inaction. With new waves of challenger banks entering the UK and US market, a glut of data coming from all sides that'll enable radically better risk assessment and health outcomes this must be the year for one of these three titans to feel at least a bit of pinch?

Objectivity is still absent in many businesses. Good metrics are the simplest, yet most fundamental thing that any organisation needs in the Digital Economy. Without them it's impossible to spot disruption and opportunities for growth, nor is it possible to change the organisation with new management ideas or new technologies without having a baseline to work from. The worst culprits? Still Marketing departments.

'Experts' are still very vague about a lot of things! And I include myself in this: many methodologies and ideas about growth and leadership in the new economy are still ill-formed. It's easy for people like me to be defocused and flit between new ideas rather than focus on clear methods that help people without the luxury of time to think about the change understand the concepts, plot a  course and act on advice. Next year I'm going to narrow my team and I's focus and be really clear about what we do and how we do it. The 'miracles of nature' have to go.

It's really hard to find digital strategy talent. I read a report on this for my own team, which suggested that there were only about 1,000 digital strategy professionals in the UK. That could be true, but in my experience the challenge of recruiting is not about finding the needle in the haystack that is the fully qualified, experienced professional, but instead it's about finding the right combination of smarts, flexibility and grit that enables digital strategy people to be trained. It's a funny role, spanning deep intellectual musings all the way through to building and trading startups and you need to have experienced it all to set strategy effectively... needless to say I'll be focusing on building rather than buying next year.

So there we are. Six things I've learned during this crazy year of growth and discovery. I'd love to think 2016 will be calmed... but there's no chance of that. First stop for me will be Las Vegas for CES. I look forward to telling you all about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impacts of a handset leasing model on mobile telcos

Following yesterday's post, here's some related thinking on the impacts on operators of handset leasing. Handset sales represent around 25% of operator revenues in a typical European market, but generate only around 5% of margin. It may therefore be the case that the scenario described would lead operators to a more profitable structural model than exists today. Oil companies are consistently and acceptably profitable, despite being (literally in some cases) the ‘dumb pipe’ that operators are so desperate to avoid becoming. One of the reasons for the oil majors sustained profitability is clear focus on their role in the value chain – to supply the fuel that enables transportation, relying primarily on location, then brand and finally product innovation to compete. BP or Shell do not need to subsidise the purchase of a car in order to drive consumption of fuel because consumers are ‘hooked’ on it (it gets them from place to place) and there are many credible car manufacturers an

Value drivers for telecoms retail

I've been doing a really large number of driver trees recently - we've taken to using them on every project to get really into the guts of value creation for businesses and thus decide where to focus initiative development (How To Win, if you're keeping score). Anyhow, I had to pause for thought recently to work out how to represent the subscription aspect of telecoms retail for a client. Since it took me a minute, I thought I'd share... its lack of elegance suggests that its not quite right, although it was enough to demonstrate that there was a certain lack of coverage in the initiatives that my client was pursuing and thus spark a debate. Enjoy.

Chief Strategy Officers II - Career Development

Here's a follow up to my earlier post on the starting point of Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) careers in the FTSE 100 and S&P 500 companies - a visualisation of two steps in their careers: their first employer or job and the job they had before they got their current position. Lots of work went into this... so any insights that you glean from the visualisation would be great to hear about :). The CSO is a crucial strategic role on the executive (!) and the owner of the tone and philosophy of decision making across much of the business, knowingly or unknowingly. Scrutiny of their experience in defining the process and language of strategic management is therefore appropriate not just amongst their executive peers, but in my view amongst shareholders. The days when being very smart and able to analyse large amounts of data were enough to be a CSO are basically gone... has the profession moved on enough to cope?