Skip to main content

The (asset) bank of the future... and the Matrix's gun rack

I’ve been thinking about the future of money, as you do. I’ve been doing this because I’ve been a bit disappointed by ‘challenger’ banks that have emerged in the UK recently. Why? Because they’re just banks… with a twist! Like they’re just a mobile app. Exciting stuff… but still a version of the storage and transfer of money machines that have existed for more or less two centuries.

My thought experiment (ongoing) is about what we’d build if we didn’t have banks but did have our world of perfect information and connectivity. Here’s some semi-structured thoughts about it:

Fundamentally (in any economy) I want to earn and use assets that enable me to reach my implicit and explicit life objectives. Many of those objectives are about daily survival at a level of luxury to which I’m accustomed. Some are longer term and more complex. At the root are assets.

Assets are a lot more liquid than they used to be because information about their value is more pervasive, as is information about their value and market places that match supply and demand.

Historically the only liquid assets that a person had were in the form of money, which can be transferred between people without conversion if you’re all in the same base currency

Bitcoin and analogous currencies based on the blockchain mean that different currencies can also be transferred without a (significant) cost of conversion. This is also true for other assets, the ownership of which could hypothetically be held in a blockchain

I can also share assets or use them on demand in a way that was impossible up until about five years ago. I can do this because trustworthiness is also an asset, albeit difficult to convert.

To make my relatively more and less liquid assets usable I need to know how much they’re worth if I lease them, exchange them or sell them at any one time. I need a kind of dashboard, which may well use a currency as a measure of relative value… but I don’t necessarily need to hold all of my assets in a liquid form, or even most of them.

This isn’t that crazy for anyone who owns (or more likely part-owns) a house. Most of our assets are relatively illiquid although I could use Airbnb to rent my house and rent another off the same platform for less, thus potentially making me cash-positive in very short order

Without the dashboard – a kind of Booking.com-cum-Amazon Marketplace for assets – it’s really difficult for me to behave in this way because I lack information. And, of course, many assets in the Industrial Economy come with legislated ownership rights and limits on their transferability. Houses, cars, traditional financial instruments and so on.

But it’s interesting. Lots of digital assets have value and are not regulated. Simple things like iTunes vouchers or Starbucks credit, to more complex things like an unrealised investment in Kickstarter. Unregulated, but potentially transferable assets, particularly in a blockchain-enabled economy.

All of this makes me wonder whether the ‘bank of the future’ is just an asset register into which I diligently enter all of my assets (maybe by snapping them on my smartphone and using an algorithmic application to ID them, or hooking up to government systems). Better still the register can give me instant valuations on things, which I can make liquid using all manner of services and peer-to-peer exchanges.

And even better still, maybe I can navigate all my things in VR – think the Matrix gun rack scene but with fast fashion and books about obscure historical events. Aces.

Chances of this happening? Tiny. People are really used to money and to nice little numbers in accounts. But actually, the first step is a complementary service that indexes and values your life’s assets. And that is definitely feasible right now. It could even be monetised by sending leads to eBay and similar services, as well as to advertisers. 

Once a major player emerges in that business then maybe the banks are fair game in a world of zero interest rates and relatively free spending.


And there’s VR to be excited about of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impacts of a handset leasing model on mobile telcos

Following yesterday's post, here's some related thinking on the impacts on operators of handset leasing. Handset sales represent around 25% of operator revenues in a typical European market, but generate only around 5% of margin. It may therefore be the case that the scenario described would lead operators to a more profitable structural model than exists today. Oil companies are consistently and acceptably profitable, despite being (literally in some cases) the ‘dumb pipe’ that operators are so desperate to avoid becoming. One of the reasons for the oil majors sustained profitability is clear focus on their role in the value chain – to supply the fuel that enables transportation, relying primarily on location, then brand and finally product innovation to compete. BP or Shell do not need to subsidise the purchase of a car in order to drive consumption of fuel because consumers are ‘hooked’ on it (it gets them from place to place) and there are many credible car manufacturers an

Value drivers for telecoms retail

I've been doing a really large number of driver trees recently - we've taken to using them on every project to get really into the guts of value creation for businesses and thus decide where to focus initiative development (How To Win, if you're keeping score). Anyhow, I had to pause for thought recently to work out how to represent the subscription aspect of telecoms retail for a client. Since it took me a minute, I thought I'd share... its lack of elegance suggests that its not quite right, although it was enough to demonstrate that there was a certain lack of coverage in the initiatives that my client was pursuing and thus spark a debate. Enjoy.

Chief Strategy Officers II - Career Development

Here's a follow up to my earlier post on the starting point of Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) careers in the FTSE 100 and S&P 500 companies - a visualisation of two steps in their careers: their first employer or job and the job they had before they got their current position. Lots of work went into this... so any insights that you glean from the visualisation would be great to hear about :). The CSO is a crucial strategic role on the executive (!) and the owner of the tone and philosophy of decision making across much of the business, knowingly or unknowingly. Scrutiny of their experience in defining the process and language of strategic management is therefore appropriate not just amongst their executive peers, but in my view amongst shareholders. The days when being very smart and able to analyse large amounts of data were enough to be a CSO are basically gone... has the profession moved on enough to cope?