Skip to main content

Of lady's loos and AI...

I inadvertantly walked into the lady's loos at work today - in my defence, it seems the building's designers decided to mix up the sex's respective bathrooms by floor! Why was this revalatory? Well, I barely needed to push open the first of two doors before I knew something was amiss - by the time the second one was cracked open, I was already turning back. Pride intact, I might add!

"I knew something was amiss" got me thinking - there were no visual clues that this was not the gents (besides the huge sign on the door, but I was texting at the time and had my head down...). The only thing I can assume was that the smell was not quite the same, triggering a subconscious "this is not right" reaction. I thus successfully passed a context problem and prevented myself suffering (psychological) harm!

Now, my success in this simple task might seem trivial, however it immediately occurred that an pseudo-AI might find solving a similar context problem rather difficult. This is, if you like, a demonstration of the validity of the Chinese room thought experiment. I could construct a look-up table containing every possible characteristic of a lady's loo that had ever been encountered and yet it could inadvertantly walk into one tomorrow, given the right change in circumstances. It doesn't fundamentally understand the concept of the lady's loo and hence it is unable to make an judgement on whether to proceed in the context of the information it has available.

I also have started to wonder about context and AIs in general. Those subtle clues that my brain used to discover that I walked through the wrong door are just the tip of the iceberg for human beings. Most of us have an instinctive ability to read shifts in posture and tone in one another - witness the immediate recognition of hierarchy in business (and many social) groups. This is a result of our recent history as sub-liguistic pack animals: it makes sense for weaker members of the pack to detect subconsciously when the alpha animals are getting ready to give them a clip round the ear and beat a hasty retreat to reduce the risk of injury. If we did succeed in building true AIs, would they also have the same context recognition? Would they form natural heirarchies?

My immediate feeling is that they would not, unless there was an evolutionary rationale for such behaviour. I believe that it is possible to incite such behaviour by building certain basic instincts into an AI - desire to survive, for one, even if that takes the form of a desire to reproduce (and hence a need to survive). Furthermore, there is the need to induce situations where that survival could be threatened, but in such a way that the threat could be avoided through early recognition of the danger. I quickly reach a spiral of complexity when considering this - as creator we could programme what we like, but a truly self-aware, learning AI could simply reprogramme itself unless we had some means of ingraining instincts like above - AI subconscious. An interesting idea.

I digress and verge on the Asimov. True AI is many years away - further out than fusion power, fuel cells, mind altering mobiles and pretty much every subject I think about. Keeping to my self-control mechanism of "what's the commercial value of that", I've also started to wonder what the value of investing in artificial intelligence is. This line of thought is even more nebulous than the above, so I'll leave that alone while it crystallises. Apologies for the ramble - hopefully it stimulated some more organised thought for you :).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Impacts of a handset leasing model on mobile telcos

Following yesterday's post, here's some related thinking on the impacts on operators of handset leasing. Handset sales represent around 25% of operator revenues in a typical European market, but generate only around 5% of margin. It may therefore be the case that the scenario described would lead operators to a more profitable structural model than exists today. Oil companies are consistently and acceptably profitable, despite being (literally in some cases) the ‘dumb pipe’ that operators are so desperate to avoid becoming. One of the reasons for the oil majors sustained profitability is clear focus on their role in the value chain – to supply the fuel that enables transportation, relying primarily on location, then brand and finally product innovation to compete. BP or Shell do not need to subsidise the purchase of a car in order to drive consumption of fuel because consumers are ‘hooked’ on it (it gets them from place to place) and there are many credible car manufacturers an

Value drivers for telecoms retail

I've been doing a really large number of driver trees recently - we've taken to using them on every project to get really into the guts of value creation for businesses and thus decide where to focus initiative development (How To Win, if you're keeping score). Anyhow, I had to pause for thought recently to work out how to represent the subscription aspect of telecoms retail for a client. Since it took me a minute, I thought I'd share... its lack of elegance suggests that its not quite right, although it was enough to demonstrate that there was a certain lack of coverage in the initiatives that my client was pursuing and thus spark a debate. Enjoy.

Chief Strategy Officers II - Career Development

Here's a follow up to my earlier post on the starting point of Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) careers in the FTSE 100 and S&P 500 companies - a visualisation of two steps in their careers: their first employer or job and the job they had before they got their current position. Lots of work went into this... so any insights that you glean from the visualisation would be great to hear about :). The CSO is a crucial strategic role on the executive (!) and the owner of the tone and philosophy of decision making across much of the business, knowingly or unknowingly. Scrutiny of their experience in defining the process and language of strategic management is therefore appropriate not just amongst their executive peers, but in my view amongst shareholders. The days when being very smart and able to analyse large amounts of data were enough to be a CSO are basically gone... has the profession moved on enough to cope?