Skip to main content

CES: the return of the connected fridge

For completeness, I'm going to write a series of short posts on other themes I saw at CES this year. First up, the connected kitchen.

There's been gigantic hype around the connected home for years now, so it's little surprise that lots of tech turned up at CES. I do think that some breakthroughs are being made, mind you. On the stands of LG, Bosch, Whirlpool and Samsung I saw ranges of practical high-end kitchen appliances that offered interesting marginal gains versus their un-connected predecessors. Here's Bosch's summary of the use cases for the category:

For example, Bosch's washing machine and dryer combination enables you to programme the machine far more precisely to the load being washed through a slick, user-centric iPad application. I wouldn't change my washer to get this, but I could see how it would be a selling point if I were buying a new one. Interestingly Bosch, LG and Whirlpool all avoided the temptation to put touchscreens into the devices, keeping them clean and functional, while moving the clever controls to the smart device. Right now these are all expensive devices that are only accessible to wealthy consumers, but I imagine that the technology will trickle down as the BOM impact of adding wifi to an appliance is almost comically small.

Samsung, of course, have never been ones for sensible user design, preferring as ever to slap screens onto everything. Witness their latest smart fridge, which enables you to shop from two providers in the US really slowly, while also seeing what the weather is. Brilliant. It'll definitely be really useful and not at all obsolete and stupid-looking within 3 years. In my opinion, of course.

Oh, and to add to the entertainment, most of these devices had signs on them saying 'no close ups'. As if their competitors couldn't figure out how to put a big tablet into a fridge door?! Bizarre.

Despite my interest in the sudden practicality of some of these connected domestic appliances, I was still left a little cold by the technology on display. None of it represents any sort of disruption to the kitchen or food preparation space. I was hoping to see practical hydroponics or food recycling units or new appliances designed for the smaller and more hermetically-sealed urban homes across the world. But there was none of that. Iteration, not innovation seems like the order of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Differences between Industrial and Digital businesses

Since I'm stuck on a Eurostar crawling through western France I thought I'd use the downtime to share this table I've made on the differences between Industrial and Digital companies across the main business functions. A strange insight into how my mind works... but hopeful a useful summary!

Strategic lessons from Debenhams

Yesterday’s news cycle brought with it the announcement that Debenhams, a staple of the UK high street, was now in the control of its lenders . This kind of news is sad for the employees of Debenhams and certainly for its shareholders, but it is also a good opportunity for reflection. A business that can trace its history back to 1778 may be about to cease trading forever. For leaders in the retail and associated consumer industries, now is a good time to consider what lessons can be learnt from Debenhams and what could be done to seize the opportunity presented by its passing. I’m thinking about the topic of strategic responses to emerging events at the moment because of the seeming inevitability of a recession this year or next, which will doubtless bring with it many similar situations. Before I get started, a disclaimer. I have no inside knowledge of Debenhams, I have never consulted for them, pitched to them or even met anyone in their management team. This post uses Debenham...

Impacts of a handset leasing model on mobile telcos

Following yesterday's post, here's some related thinking on the impacts on operators of handset leasing. Handset sales represent around 25% of operator revenues in a typical European market, but generate only around 5% of margin. It may therefore be the case that the scenario described would lead operators to a more profitable structural model than exists today. Oil companies are consistently and acceptably profitable, despite being (literally in some cases) the ‘dumb pipe’ that operators are so desperate to avoid becoming. One of the reasons for the oil majors sustained profitability is clear focus on their role in the value chain – to supply the fuel that enables transportation, relying primarily on location, then brand and finally product innovation to compete. BP or Shell do not need to subsidise the purchase of a car in order to drive consumption of fuel because consumers are ‘hooked’ on it (it gets them from place to place) and there are many credible car manufacturers an...